20 October 2009
These awesome sceneries of Knuckles Range, Sri Lanka’s largest mountain range, were taken from the top of Maningala Mountain. You can view a full 360 degree panorama from this magnificent place.
From the top you can see some of the most prominent places in the Knuckles. A few are mentioned below.
• Pitawalapathana, (wide open area in a plateau)
• Karagahathenna, (A mountain just behind Pitawalapathana)
• Riverston, (A popular destination of local visitors)
• Gammaduwa, (A mountain peak further away from Karagahathenna with at least 5 transmission towers)
• Thunhisgala or Kalupahana, very prominent peak in the range
As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a vast open area on top of Maningala Mountain as big as a football ground. The above picure shows the view of Knuckles Range from this open land. The peak of the mountain (The head of the elephant) also could be seen from this point.
This link has photos taken from both the open land as well as the peak. My next post will give you more about Maningala.